The image to the right, show 94% of our students feel we are teaching in a different way. So, we teach in a different non-traditional way, and as a result 97% of our students feel in control of their learning.
First here is what we don't do:
1. Not once, did I give my students a "worksheet"--well maybe the final student evaluation shown below.
2. We don't lecture all period
3. We don't give page after page of notes on a topic
4. We don't give pages of "readings" and then assessment
5. We don't have them sit in neat rows and do independent work all period.
I guess in a nut shell, we have changed teaching and learning in our classroom. We guide students and let them connect the learning in their own way. And frankly, they learn a great deal, their online book, movies, and blogs show their learning in ways, no test can provide. They are learning and having fun, not bored and memorizing hundreds of unrelated facts.
Mike and I will try to do our first summer web-show on this topic and explain in more detail how we "give" ownership of the learning to our students.
Below is one of my student final evaluations of my class (my report card). I think it hints some ideas of how we get students to own the learning. More to come soon. Cheers, Garth